Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My tough son.


Yesterday I sat and watched as my five year old son Derek had a biopsy done on a bump on his back. I cannot describe what he did, it all happened so fast, but this is a blog so I will try. First I was telling him that this appointment was at the hospital, but that it would not be a problem, it would only take a minute and then we would be off. Then the Doctors came into look at him and after a five or six minute examination recommended a biopsy. They tried to explain what was going to happen without freaking him out. This can be a problem with five year olds because they understand but don't understand. Understand? If you know Derek you know he is very quiet. He just sort of sat there letting the Doctor explain and when they asked if he understood shook his head in the affirmative. It was not until the Doctors left that he informed me that he did not know what was going on. When I told him he let me know in no uncertain terms that he did not like that idea and wanted to leave. He really let me know when he learned there would need to be a shot. Now my kids may be weird, but they do not like shots. In fact the emotion that I would use to describe their feelings in regard to shots would be loath. With a little comforting and a promise of a happy meal and a trip to Science City he was, well not good to go, but willing to let me hold him whilst the shot was administered. After that was over and the bribe had been agreed to he just sat down and let the Doctor do what she needed to do He just sat there with his head on my lap and let the doctor rip a chunk of flesh from his back. Now I must tell you that I was all by myself, that’s right folks Lindsay was not there. I was the one who had to drive Derek to Kansas City to the Doctor. I was the one who had to make the decision of go/no go with the biopsy. You may be asking yourself; at what point in this did Stephen call Lindsay to ask for advice? Never, I did it all by myself. In case you are wondering it was an incisional biopsy. My guess would be that you were not in fact wondering that. Once again back to me, I was the one who never has to make these kinds of decisions. I mean I make very important decisions all the time. Like, Yes, I would like fries with that, or whatever you say dear. All joking aside he just sat there and did not cry once the procedure had started. I was shocked that during the stitches he was still OK. He was a champion and he is one of my heroes.

2 comments:

The Cooper Crew said...

What did you find out that it was? I never heard that he had a bump on his back. Derek is so brave for doing it without crying. I know I probably would be that is why I don't want to get a flu shot!

Unknown said...

Sweet Derek. I love that kid!! He is so brave and also my hero. Those shots hurt like heck!! Tell him his Aunt Kim loves him!!