Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The 80's Movie fest.


Question, and please feel free to post as many times as you would like. What in your estimation is the best 80's movie? My bet on the most 80's movie of all time is "The Wraith". Thank you Joe Dairman for introducing me to that little gem. When you are deciding what movie fills you with the dread of feathered hair and pegged pant legs, keep in mind thees three 80's movie tracers. First a helicopter, second really bad acting, and third in almost all 80's movies there is a monster truck. In order to make this a little more difficult you can't use "Breakfast Club" "Can't buy me Love" or "Red Dawn". That is all, Thank you.

7 comments:

brian and jessica jones said...

You need to define the question a little more clearly. If we're talking about the most iconic movie of the '80s, and we're not allowed to use Breakfast Club (which is without question #1) then I'd have to go with Say Anything. It's our generation's On The Waterfront, and John Cusack standing with the boom box above his head is the equivalent of Brando screaming "Stella!" Other movies like Pretty in Pink are in the conversation, but a) movies like that are a little too trapped in '80s pop culture and b) they're kind of hokie. Say Anything is a quality movie that stands up, and it's not over the top in corny '80s style.

If we're talking about the BEST movie of the '80s, then clearly the answer is Footloose. "Notta gotta cut loose, a-footloose..." You know what I'm talking about.

Joe said...

wow that was funny. I saw the Wraith picture and thought I love that movie then I thought he better not take crdeit for finding that movie. finaly I read what you wrote and was pleased to see I was given the appropriate credit. I guess I shoulld read before I think so much.

my vote is Weird Science. Chet, elephant balls, hot chicks, and "he don't even have a license Lisa" "GIVE ME THE KEYS". Wraith wins for the best movie that nobody saw but us.

PS I have Kentucky Fried movie and Amazon Women on the Moon next in my net flix que. Two Jones classics

PPS Steve and Lindsay when you think of fooT loose do you think of Mike Richardson (AKA lurch)?

Cassie and Chad said...

OK I have done some polling and the winner is...Better Off Dead "I want my two dollars" is definately a classic. But a second close in my book is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. You gotta love it!!!

stephanie said...

i am a little scared to comment on your blog, i am afraid i might get struck down with the "you are a private blog curse" i know it is so hard being private, but i was getting some really weird out of the country comments, so that kinda freaked me out..and i am with you when i come to a blog and it is private, it drives me crazy, but arent you glad that i invited ya and stephen i think it is cool that you have a banjo, where is the video of you playing the banjo, cant wait to see that...

anyway....i totally loved SIXTEEN CANDLES or PRETTY IN PINK, everybody has already stole my other picks..what was the vampire movie with jim carey??? i remember watching that and feeling like i was doing something wrong..i will have to figure out what the name was...

stephanie said...

ok i remembered it was ONCE BITTEN..and i wasnt saying that was my favorite that's just one i remember watching...but here is the best one....GOONIES~~~that one is the WINNER right there!!

stephanie said...

ok scott is coming up with some good ones now....BACK TO THE FUTURE, INDIANA JONES, RAD, RAMBO, he keeps going on so i might have to come back again..

Jen said...

Ok, now I think you all forgot about the 80's classic film KRULL! This movie had it all! It was a love story and a action packed fantasy thriller all in one. Name one other movie where 2 lovers are torn apart by an alien who wants to marry his woman. And to make things worse, the alien lives in a transporting fortress. And the only way he could get there was by teaming up with a bunch of criminals and a cyclops. And to make things even worse, they have to visit the evil spider queen who can see into the future. That way they know where the fortress will be next. Then they catch some flying horses that fly so fast they put out a flaming trail. SWEET special effects! And don't forget the awesome weapon he had to pull from the mountain. It was a star shaped blade tipped boomerang. You have to see it to believe it. Then to top it off he uses the burning love he and his fiance have to kill the alien. I am surprised this movie didn't win best picture.

Oh and a few other movies that need some attention- Labyrinth with David Bowie, The Dark Crystal, Top Gun, Blazing Saddles and The Princess Bride.

Later,

Gary