Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The story still makes me laugh.

I have been thinking alot about this very funny story that happened when I was in High School. I would like to tell you about it. Todd Gale if you are reading this I apologize. Let me set the stage. I was in Mrs. Cameron's creative writing class. This was a great class. I was in there with Todd Gale and Bubba Mow. We got to write about anything we wanted to, all we had to do was write in our journal and share with the class one or two writings a week. This was normally done on Fridays. On the average day she would give us about ten minutes to write in the daily journal. As I have said before we could write whatever we wanted to. I loved to write about the girl I was in love with "Lindsay Anderson", songs I liked, or how Mesa High football rocked. I would just rant on about anything. Most times it did not mean anything. Well on this Friday I was ready to read and was looking over my journal entries. There was "that" girl. She was what I would call grungy and a twig eater. She got up and was really getting into her poem. She was swearing and using the "F" word in class. The only person I can compare her to is Lloyd Dobler's female friend in "Say Anything" who wrote 65 songs, 65 songs about Joe and pain. Well Mrs. Cameron loved it, she was also really getting into the poem. And then just like that it was over. The next person was Todd Gale. He was shocked and looked through his works for something good to share. He turned to Bubba and me and asked if we had anything. I said I could just give you a page from my journal. He quickly accepted it and was off. He got up in front of the class and started to read what I had written. I quote "Day after day, night after night loneliness creeps in my window, she like the dark turns off the light rehearsing a kiss on her pillow. She cries, all in a day's work." The room was still, no one could believe that Todd could produce such work, let alone Mrs. Cameron. Everyone in the class was really impressed, then Mrs. Cameron asked Todd if he wrote that. Not wanting to get in trouble and say that I gave him the poem said he did in fact write the words he had just read. She then said that what he just read sounded like a song. Todd said no, then she said yes I think it is a song. It was at this time I think Todd heard both Bubbba and me laughing behind him. He said he had been listening to a lot of music this week and maybe that was how he had copied a STYX song in his journal. He was, needless to say, very mad at me. I on the other hand, thought it was the funniest thing I had every seen. It still makes me laugh fifteen years later. Thanks Todd and Bubba.
P.S. That song is one of the best ever.

5 comments:

brian and jessica jones said...

I don't get any credit in this story? You only knew the words of that song because I carved them into the desk in your bedroom.

The Jones Seven said...

Yes and Alisha Weimmer is hot right next to it. No I knew the words because I listened to that tape you owned. OK Brian you get some credit. Love Barack H. Obama

Mel said...

haha! That is hilarious! Todd if your out there somewhere I think I'd be kicking some A!!
And really Alisha Weimer??

Hey Brian! What's up? Heard life's treating you great! Send me your email and I'll send you an invite harpercrew@gmail.com
I would have left this on your blog, but seeing that you don't update, I'll leave it here!

Cassie and Chad said...

Ha too funny!!

the mows said...

I remeber that like it was yesterday. We were the biggest losers! Thanks for the memories. BUBBA